The Iloilo City Government and Iloilo City Task Force on Street Children (ICTFSC) awarded the winners of Huwaran nga Anak 2023 with the theme “Healthy, Nourished, Sheltered: Ensuring the Right For Life to All” at Robinsons Jaro on November 22.
This program is an initiative of the Iloilo City Task Force on Street Children and the City Social Welfare Development Office, aiming to acknowledge children who are making positive impacts in their communities.
Across seven districts, two representatives were nominated per district for their active involvement in school and the community despite facing poverty.
“This recognition bestowed annually signifies the City Government’s commitment to provide a bright hope and opportunities for the youth,” USWAG Ilonggo Partylist 2nd representative Raisa Treñas-Chu said on behalf of Mayor Jerry P. Treñas and ICTFSC Chairperson Rosalie Treñas.
The contestants represented their respective city districts: Molo, Arevalo, Mandurriao, City Proper, Jaro,and Lapaz.
Mark Gaspar Prologo, a representative from the City Proper District, bested the 14 finalists and was hailed as the Huwaran na Anak 2023 champion, followed by Raiza Mae Padilla from Jaro District as first runner-up and John Lenald Ong from the Arevalo District as second runner-up.
“I dedicate this to my family and am grateful to the Iloilo City Government for giving us student leaders the opportunity to represent our own district, and this will be an avenue for me to continue my advocacy, which is the promotion of education and youth empowerment. Also, my message to the youth is to keep doing what makes you happy and to remember that we must love our work and that no hindrance should stand in our way,” Prologo said.
The contestants underwent pre-screening and validation, where 80 percent of the total score came from, while the remaining 20 percent were taken from the question-and-answer portion with the judges during the awarding ceremony (Andrea Pearl Fernandez/Iloilo City PIO).